Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Discovery Weekend: What to Expect after the Wedding

December 3-5, 2010

After the proposal, the first thing that I booked for us is attending a marriage preparation seminar called Discovery Weekend.  I know, I know.  Most couples make this one of the last things they book, usually after all the nitty-gritty details of the wedding have been finalized and are just waiting for their wedding day to arrive.  I just felt that whatever we learn out of this seminar would be essential not only to our lives as husband and wife, but as two people at the start of preparing to enter this sacred vocation.  I wanted to make sure that JP and I start on same ground: understanding which values are non-negotiable, and which can be compromised; which principles cannot be bent, and which ones can be discussed.

  I inquired through their website the next available schedule, their fees and the venue to make sure that JP and I can free our schedule and attend.  Coincidentally, a few more slots were being filled last December, and I was told that it would take months before you can attend this seminar. So, me not wanting to let go of this opportunity, I immediately called JP and told (READ: not asked) him that we were to attend a weekend seminar.  He asked me if it was necessary, and I said yes because churches require couples to attend a pre-wedding seminar (I didn't know that only some churches acknowledge this particular seminar.  Others require you to attend their own pre-wedding seminar. Teehee. My mistake).

Nevertheless, I didn't really mind taking this seminar with JP because it definitely helped us as we start with the preparations.  Most of the lessons, we already learned from the seminar where we met, but we "re-learned" them from a different perspective.  Not only that, we also gained new friends here. :)


For schedule, fees and other details, you may visit Discovery Weekend website.

No comments:

Post a Comment